svadisthana = “one’s own place”/”to sweeten”
Beneath heaven nothing is more soft and yielding than water. Yet for attacking the solid and strong, Nothing can take its place. Therefore the soft can overcome the hard, The weak can overcome the strong, Under heaven everyone knows this, Yet no one puts it into practice. – Tao Te Ching
Let’s not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it. ~Vincent Van Gogh, 1889
“The greater then tension between pairs of opposites, the greater the energy that comes from them – the strong its constellating power” – C. G. Jung
Movement never lies. It is a barometer telling the state of the soul’s weather. ~Martha Graham
Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states. ~Carol Welch
Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth. ~Benjamin Disraeli
“Focus on fluid and formlessness. Earth is solid and fixed.”
“Earth = consistency, water = induces change. And through change our consciousness begins to expand, growth is possible, life is juicy.”
“Body is shaped by the structure of our bones and muscles, but our emotions, desires, wants, needs, feelings and sensations flow between the spaces.”
“Become sensible instead of senseless”
“Feelings are textures of the soul”
Path of least resistance, downward flow, learn how to open up & move & reach beyond ourselves, savoring our senses
IN THE BODY
Encapsulates the entire sacral area: the hips, low back, abdomen, and genitals. Also includes the “watery” aspects of the body: the bladder, kidneys, urinary tract, and reproductive system. Endocrine glands.
Tune into your senses and life into a sensuous experience
Water makes life juicy
1) Baddha konasana (bound angle pose) 2) Lizard pose 3) Any hip opener/stretch, really.
1) Breathe up the front of the body, and cascade the breath down the back of the body
2) Nadi shodana (alternate nostril breathing, focusing on bringing the water through the left side of the body to the crown, and down the right side of the body into the earth. Then reverse)
- balanced pleasure (sweetening life) as a healing force
- mindfulness and senses
- creation (actual manifestation)
- sexuality (relates to universal desire to connect with others) – the complexity of desire, emotion, pleasure, dissolving boundaries, intimacy, and sensations
PERSONAL REFLECTION TIME
Do you take time to tune into your emotions?
Do you have the courage to express emotions, clearly and at appropriate times?
Can you refrain from emotional expression when necessary?
Are you content with your life?
Are you comfortable with your sexuality and its sacredness?
Do you make room for healthy pleasure in your life?
Do you honestly understand and connect with your own needs?
Do you respect the beliefs and boundaries of yourself and others?
Chakra Balancing – Anodea Judith